Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Smedley Darlington Butler

Known as the "The Fighting Quaker," Smedley Butler was a decorated Marine Major General in the first half of the 19-hundreds.

Check out this quote:
Thus I helped make Mexico, and especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenue in. I helped in the raping of half-a-dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers and Co. in 1909-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras "right" for American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested.

[read all of I was a Gangster for Capitalism]

Additional info on Butler:
Related books:

No comments: