Sunday, October 08, 2006

BIBLE: Deuteronomy 24:17

"Do not deprive the alien or the fatherless of justice, or take the cloak of the widow as a pledge." Deuteronomy 24:17

Immigration is a significant issue during this election year. Whatever our views on this topic may be, let's make sure our opinions are based on what is just for the alien, not simply what we think is best for us. What is God's perspective? And I'm not saying that is equivalent to the party line of either the Democrats or Republicans.

And this is true for legal and illegal aliens. When my grandfather's family immigrated from Europe, he was beat up in school because he couldn't speak English when he started. He was here legally, but still he was not treated with respect. I believe this sad fact is still repeated.

How can I include immigrants in my community? How can I make sure they are treated justly?

No comments: